SUMMER CAMP- Enrolling NOW!
Register now and receive 2 Complimentary Tickets to Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Now Playing on our mainstage!
Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts’ Theatre Education Program Summer Theatre Enhancement is an intensive theatre training program. It is designed to give all students, novices and seasoned performers alike, the opportunity to participate in the theatre experience. While we would like to think all participants will become active theatre participants, the goals of each session are to give the student a creative, collaborative atmosphere that fosters their self-esteem and communication skills.
• Summer Theatre Enhancement 2013 is held daily, Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 3:00 pm for 3 weeks
• Session 1 - July 8 - July 26, 2013 (Showcase, July 27, 2013, 10:00 am)
• Session 2 - August 5 - August 23, 2013 (Showcase, Aug. 24, 2013, 10:00 am)
• All students will take part in a showcase at the end of each 3-week session.
• We accept youth Ages 7 - 18. Students will be placed into classes based on grade level and age prior to the first day of each session.
• First time enrollees in our TEP Program must pay a $40.00 administration fee.
• All classes will meet at the Smithtown Center for the Performing Arts.
• Enrollment is limited to 50 youth per session.
• No transportation or food is provided by the TEP Program. Youth must be transported to and from the theatre
by either a parent or guardian, or an authorized individual of the enrollee. All students should bring their own
bag lunch and snacks. No youth will be permitted to leave the facility at any time. (i.e. they can not go around the
corner for pizza or ice cream).
• A lottery for parents who wish to accompany their child on the field trip will be held at an appropriate date.
This is an intensive theatre program. Students spend all their time working on theatre projects. (No sports or recreation breaks.) Students will spend part of most days in classes including dance, voice for musical theatre, and acting technique/improvisation. These classes will focus on general technique for musical theatre, with an emphasis on audition preparation and technique. It is our goal for every student to become a successful auditioner and to have the correct materials and knowledge to be able to do so. Topics relating to the showcase will also be discussed and presented on most days in a full group setting. The showcase will include full group numbers, small group numbers, and possibly a limited number of solos and/or duets. After students are comfortable and prepared there will be a very low-stress audition process to both evaluate the level at which the students are for class work and to place them into group numbers for the showcase. Any solos and/or duets will be decided on the basis of classwork.
* Free Massage offer is only good for those students registering and paying in full within the month of February.
Adobe Acrobat document [212.0 KB]
Our Theatre Education Program's goal is to give your child confidence in the theatre arts. Whether it be public speaking, audition techniques, musical guidance, or improv, our experienced teachers will work with your child one-on-one and in group sessions to teach them what they need to succeed in the theatre world.
Students will gain a basic understanding of the techniques used in acting for the stage. Beginning students will utilize theater games, acting exercises and improvisation to develop greater self-esteem,communication skills and collaborative working skills. More advanced students will participate in exercises utilizing monologues, scene study, and auditioning techniques to hone their skills.
VOICE FOR THE
Students will focus on vocal techniques, vocal exercises, harmonizing, stage
presentation, and other tools necessary to perform Musical Theater. Depending on experience level, students will participate in group numbers, trios, duets,and
MUSICAL THEATER WORKSHOP
This class will focus on dance, movement, and group vocals. Students will work on general dance technique as well as learn choreography and vocals for a variety of musical theatre songs from throughout the years. Several polished numbers will be presented at the final showcase.
This class will focus on in depth character development for the musical theatre environment. By audition only, these classes will take acting classes to a whole new level.